Equalities Objective Statement
We pride ourselves at Longford Park Primary Academy at developing a fully inclusive school, recruiting staff who share our Flying High vision that enables children to work hard (Achieve our Best), work together and reach potential (Be our Best) and are able to share success (Celebrate our Best). We have consistently high expectations of all pupils regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, ability or social background, committed to meeting different needs and will take steps to foster good relations, tackle prejudice and promote understanding between people from different groups.
There are nine protected characteristics in the Equality Act and we strive to ensure there is no discrimination for staff, parents and pupils for any of these reasons;
- gender reassignment
- marriage or civil partnership (in employment only)
- pregnancy and maternity
- religion or belief
- sexual orientation
Our objectives are:
- To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development through all appropriate curricular and extra-curricular opportunities . We aim to meet this objective with particular reference to issues of equality and diversity
- To reduce prejudice and increase understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum and through intervention where necessary, e.g. through targeted behaviour, emotional support training (BEST), learning coaches, individual programmes and support plans
- To provide differentiated provision to meet all pupils’ learning needs including those with Disabilities and/or Special Educational Needs and those identified as More Able Gifted and Talented. We have separate policies to address these groups.
- To ensure the school environment gives pupils equal access to facilities and resources
- To move beyond deterministic notions of fixed ability and to model teaching and learning behaviours that avoid labelling
- To narrow the gap between more disadvantaged children and their peers
- To promote cultural development and understanding through a rich range of experience, both in and beyond the school
- To eradicate prejudice related bullying in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010 (Please see policy for more information)
- To tackle prejudice and promote understanding in relation to people with disabilities
At Longford Park Primary Academy we apply principles of equality to recruitment of staff. Our multi-academy trust monitors equalities through an annual return and can be accessed through the above link.